AUDITION NOTICE: Rules for Living
WT is committed to being a diverse and open organisation. Auditions are open to anyone, regardless of background or experience, and we particularly welcome those who have been traditionally under-represented in theatre.
Rules For Living by Sam Holcroft is a dark Christmas comedy running in real time on Christmas morning from 11am until the serving of Christmas lunch at 1pm.
The family celebrations are going ahead despite Francis (the father) having had a stroke. The mother, the neurotic Edith, is determined that everything will go on as usual so that the bullying Francis will not be disappointed. Matthew, their thwarted in life youngest son, is bringing his new girlfriend, a hyper-active compulsive joke telling actress, who is convinced the parents don’t like her. Adam the easy going, under achieving, eldest son is there with his intense, alcohol dependent wife Sheena, and their marriage is not in a good place. Emma their daughter is suffering from teenage angst and refusing to come out of her room. What could possibly go wrong?
To add to the comic tension each character has a rule by which they live. They are unaware of their rule, that is just how they naturally live, but the audience are aware, being informed by projected messages. This is a very funny play with great characters, jokes, slapstick but also seriously comments on how we all live our lives. A fantastic challenge for the actors.
- Matthew – Thirties, youngest son of Francis and Edith. A solicitor who really wants to be in musical theatre. His girlfriend is Carrie.
- Carrie – Thirties, girlfriend of Matthew, a professional actress, who loves telling jokes.
- Sheena – Forties, married to the elder son Adam and mother of 14 year old Emma. Intense, into modern food fads and alcohol dependent.
- Adam – Forties, elder son and married to Sheena, rather unhappily, as he would like an easy life. A solicitor but wanted to be a professional cricketer.
- Edith – Sixties, mother, and has spent a life- time being dominated by her husband Francis. Can only control her emotions by constantly cleaning.
- Francis – Seventies, father, a retired judge who has always ruthlessly controlled his family. Now after a stroke he is in a wheelchair and struggling to speak.
- Emma – Fourteen, angst ridden teenager. (I am looking for a 16+ actor who can look 14 for this role.)
Auditions will be informal, in the form of short sections of dialogue, in pairs or small groups.
Auditions will be held on Tuesday 28th and Wednesday 29th June at 7.45pm in the Theatre foyer.
The show runs from 7th to 17th December 2022.
If you would like a copy of the play, would like to chat about the auditions, or are unable to make the dates then please contact me by email. Thank you!